The weather is unbearable today. I (Maggie) was very bored and it was approaching noon-ish, so I decided to cook something. I was not into the idea of going to the store, so I dug through the cabinets for something to make. I ran across a half box of pasta and then found a jar of pasta sauce I had picked up for theme night last week, but didn't end up using. Could I have made plain spaghetti? Sure. Did I? Hell to the no.
Here's my recipe for a rustic, pseudo-homemade pasta that's perfect rainy day comfort food.
1/2 box of angel hair pasta (I used Barilla Whole Grain Angel Hair)
1 Jar of pasta sauce (I used basil and mushroom sauce)
1/2 c onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1-1 1/2 c spinach
red pepper flakes to taste
Boil water in a large pot. Some people choose to salt it, I think it's fine without. While you're waiting for your pasta to cook (the multigrain or whole wheat kinds usually take around 7 minutes to be al dente), spray a sauce pan or skillet (with high sides) with Pam or heat a table spoon of olive oil.
Saute onions and garlic. Add spinach. I use Kroger Recipe Starters frozen chopped onions and spinach. They are awesome! No tears from cutting up onions AND they're almost always on the 10 for $10 sale at Kroger.
When spinach is heated through, add red pepper flakes. I probably use about of a tablespoon, because I like some heat!
Add jar of sauce. It's okay to use the whole jar because the left over sauce will freeze. Stir gently over medium heat until the sauce bubbles slightly. Give the ingredients time to mix together and blend flavors.
Drain pasta and place back in the large pot, removed from the heat. Pour in about half the sauce. Toss with pasta. Serve immediately with fresh grated parmesean.
Freeze remaining sauce for next time!
Serves 3-4 for lunch.
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment